.: That Which Stands Under :.

Sunday, November 9

RE: Apologetics is Dead?

David - First off, we missed you and your wife on Saturday night! (She isn't a 5th grade teacher is she? - three of the spouses there, including my wife, are!)

I am EXTREMELY disheartened by this type of a comment coming from a IVF STAFF person. I would expect such words to come out of the mouth of your average college student, but now even IVF has been infiltrated!?! It all comes down to the question of truth. I perhaps naively still believe that most people don't want to live a life of deliberate self-deception. There is something inherent in our humanity, as we are created in God's image, that causes us to hunger for the truth. Some people may superficially claim that they live their life through a pragmatic definition of truth and that they have no use for an actual correspondence view. However, I think that you can challenge them on the actual "pragmatism" of some of their decisions.

The problem with pragmatism is how long or short sighted you are - what might be pragmatic now and tomorrow, may have dire consequences looking a week or month out.
Example: I just got paid and my money's burning a hole in my pocket. Taking a very short term pragmatic view I could go out and spend it all at the greyhound race track in Commerce City and derive much pleasure from it - quite pragmatic (just kidding...really). Taking a longer term pragmatic view I might go to the grocery store and stock up on Ramen Noodles for the next week. Or taking an even longer term view, I might pay my car payment so that my car doesn't get reposessed this month. All of these are pragmatic, based upon my time frame.

I think that the IVF staffer needs to take PR501 or at least read Truth Decay. While some students may be so brainwashed by postmodernism that they are happy to live in a relativistic pragmatic world of their own creation, most, when presented with well thought out heartfelt questions and answers, will respond to the Truth.

Just my $.02.

Ian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home