.: That Which Stands Under :.

Thursday, February 26

The Passion

BJ,

Thanks for your thoughts. I also was in disagreement with Dr. G’s letter. I too greatly respect his opinion, ideas, thoughts and insights especially into our culture and because of this I took some time to think through it. I very nearly responded to him but after reading your post I am humbled. You stated the case better than I could have. I took several days to contemplate Dr. G’s words and then Amy and I also went to see the movie last night.

I am still in a state of … I don’t know what to call it. Reflection, contemplation, meditation? I am not sure at this point that I am capable of putting into words what I feel or think. I need time. Amy said something to me on the way home last night that struck me. She said that even after reading the crucifixion accounts in the gospels as many times as she had, she now realized that the magnitude of what Christ suffered had never really registered with her. I do not think that the crucifixion is something that she will ever look at or experience the same way again.

I understand Dr. G’s comment that we would not want to go and watch a loved one suffer as Christ did. However, I would not want to read about that either yet we have the gospel accounts. The difference here is not one of the horribleness of what occurred. It was horrific. This is partially because of the violent nature of the movie but also because it so clearly demonstrates and forces us to see the falleness of humankind. However, at the same time it shows the majesty and love of Christ. Christ, who willingly laid down His life for us.

I think that whether we see it or not, and I think everyone needs to decide for themselves, we must recognize that large numbers of people WILL see it. I also think we as the body have a responsibility not to castigate people for seeing it but be there to help them work through it afterwards for I do not know how anyone could watch it and not be moved in some manner.

Matt

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home